Welcome back to school;
Whether this is your first year at PRMS or your 3rd year, we look forward to this coming year and hope that we can work together to make it a positive experience for every member of our school community. We hope you and your family can take time to review our student handbook in the coming weeks which is found on our website, but in the meantime, here are some highlights we wish to pass on as we begin the new year.
First week of school:
Tuesday, September 5
10am-11:30am- Grade 7 students attend
10:30-12:00pm- Grade 8 students attend
1-2:45pm- Grade 6 students attend
Students will enter through the gym outside doors and will be brought to their classes.
Wednesday, September 6
Classes begin at 8:50am
School ends at 2:05pm
Thursday, September 7
Regular school day
Classes begin at 8:50am
Lunch 12:31- 1:11pm
School ends at 3:03pm
Other important items:
- Mornings – PRMS opens each day at 8:15am. Students can enter the school through the front doors and either go directly to their classes or go to the breakfast area until the bell rings at 8:50am.
- Pick up and Drop Off – The front parking lot of the school is not available for picking up or dropping off students. 9th Ave in front of the school becomes extremely congested with BC Transit and our district buses picking-up and dropping off students. Parents/Guardians, please consider using the Civic Centre parking lot as a meeting place. Please also ensure your child is aware of any after-school plans before coming to school.
- School Communication – One of the main avenues of communication within our school community is through email. Please ensure we have a valid email that you regularly check with the school. Please also ensure we have up-to-date phone numbers for all relevant parties should we contact you.
- “Wackey” Wednesday – Every Wednesday students are dismissed at 2:05pm so our school staff can gather to plan and develop exciting learning opportunities for our students. For students unable to be picked up at 2:05 when dismissed, we offer a homework club in our computer lab, the After-School Activities Program, for those signed up and occasional crafting activities.
- Breakfast Program – All students are welcome to take part in our breakfast program which runs every morning in our breakfast club from 8:15 to 8:40.
- Lunch Program – School District 52 offers a lunch program run through Roosevelt School. Before the beginning of each month students are given the upcoming menu, which when returned signed parents/guardians can ensure students have a daily lunch. Lunches are distributed in our breakfast club area.
- Cell Phones/Electronic Devices – While teachers may permit the occasional use of cell phones or other electronic devices in the classroom for educational purposes, outside of these times students are required to keep their devices in their locker from 8:45 to 3:03(2:05pm on Wednesday), including break times. Parents/Guardians are encouraged to enable, if available, the find my device feature on their student’s phone. School staff are not responsible for these devices and are unable to search for them should they go missing. If you need to contact your child during the school day, please call the office and leave them a message.
- Excused Absences – If your child is going to be away, please call the school in the morning. For extended absences, please contact your child’s teacher in advance so they are prepared for their return.
- Parent/Guardian Visitors – If you need to see your child during the school day, you must stay at the office and the office staff will be happy to assist you. For the safety of our students and staff, please do not wander the halls of the school or enter your child’s classroom.
- Classes – A lot of discussion and meetings went in to building classes, therefore there will be no class changes until October.
We are looking forward to a fantastic year. If you have any other questions, please contact the school.
Kerri Levelton, Principal and Lori Leighton, Vice-principal